This episode is also available on iTunes, Google, Spotify or wherever you access your favorite podcasts.
Jen is joined by Mitali Perkins and Erin Wasinger to discuss the reading life of children. They talk about the power of stories in the lives of kids, as well as the surprising tension and conflict in the discussion concerning what literature children should have access to, as well as how to encourage a love for reading as children grow. This is a fantastic conversation for those readers who have little ones in their lives!
Mitali Perkins (mitaliperkins.com) has written many books for young readers, including Between Us and Abuela (Winner of the Américas Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature), Forward Me Back To You (SLJ and Kirkus Best YA Books of the year), You Bring the Distant Near (nominated for a National Book Award, six starred reviews), and Rickshaw Girl (adapted into a film by Sleeperwave Productions), all of which explore crossing different kinds of borders.
Erin F. Wasinger is a writer, speaker, and an elementary school “library lady.” She’s also the cofounder of Spark Writers of Southern Michigan, blogger for MadeleineLEngle.com, and author of The Year of Small Things: Radical Faith for the Rest of Us (Brazos, 2017). Find her online at: ErinWasinger.com
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
- Between Us and Abuela: A Family Story from the Border by Mitali Perkins and Sara Palacios
- We Loved Books by Mitali Perkins (forthcoming)
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Year of Small Things: Radical Faith for the Rest of Us by Sarah Arthur and Erin Wasinger
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Little House on the Prairie (series) by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Emily of Deep Valley by Maud Hart Lovelace
- Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
- Miracles on Maple Hill by Virgina Sorenson
- Heidi by Johanna Spyri
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
- New Kid by Jerry Craft
- When Stars are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed
- Forward Me Back to You by Mitali Perkins
- The Adventures of Tintin by Herge
- The Story of Babar: The Little Elephant by Jean De Brunhoff
- The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- Dog Man (series) by Dav Pilkey
- Sweet Valley High (series) by Francine Pascal
- The Baby-Sitter’s Club by Ann M. Martin
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- The Secret Keepers by Trenton Lee Stewart
- The Chosen by Chaim Potok
- Thank You, Omu! by Oge Mora
- Mom’s Sweater by Jayde Perkin
SUBSCRIBE to the ERB podcast on iTunes, Google, Spotify or wherever you access your favorite podcasts.
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!