ERB Editor C. Christopher Smith sits in the host seat for a wide-ranging discussion of asceticism with three fantastic panelists: Jon M. Sweeney, Andrew Arndt, and Laura Fabrycky. They talk about the place of asceticism in Christian history and tradition, as well as the relevance of ascetic practices in our cultural context.
Jon M. Sweeney is an award-winning author of over forty books, including most recently Teresa of Calcutta
Dark Night, Active Love, The Complete Francis of Assisi; and new from St. Martin’s Press and Penguin Random House Audio: Thomas Merton: An Introduction to His Life, Teachings, and Practices. Living in Milwaukee, Jon writes regularly for America magazine and The Tablet, and he is also editor at large at Orbis Books.
Andrew Arndt is the Lead Pastor of New Life East (one of seven congregations of New Life Church in Colorado Springs), where he also hosts the Essential Church podcast, a weekly conversation designed to strengthen the thinking of church and ministry leaders. Andrew is author of the new book, Streams in the Wasteland: Finding Spiritual Renewal with the Desert Fathers and Mothers (NavPress). Prior to joining New Life’s team, he served as Lead Pastor of Bloom Church: a neo-monastic, charismatic, liturgical, justice-driven network of house churches in Denver. He lives in Colorado Springs with his wife Mandi and their four kids.
Laura M. Fabrycky is a writer, poet, and mother of three. She is the author of the award-wining book, Keys to Bonhoeffer’s Haus: Exploring the World and Wisdom of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and isalso a PhD student in systematic theology at ETF Leuven. Her family’s diplomatic postings include Doha, Qatar; Amman, Jordan; Washington, DC; Berlin Germany, and Brussels, Belgium. They currently live in the Washington, DC, area.
Books & Writing Mentioned in this Episode:
- Teresa of Calcutta: Dark Night, Active Love by Jon Sweeney
- The Pope Who Quit: A True Medieval Tale of Mystery, Death and Salvation by Jon Sweeney
- St. Francis of Assisi: His Life, Teachings and Practice by Jon Sweeney
- Keys to Bonhoeffer’s Haus by Laura Fabrycky
- Streams in the Wasteland: Finding Spiritual Renewal with the Desert Fathers and Mothers by Andrew Arndt
- Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta by Mother Teresa
- The Way of the Heart: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers by Henri Nouwen
- Where God Happens: Discovering Christ in One Another by Rowan Williams
- The Genesee Diary: Report from a Trappist Monastery by Henri Nouwen
- The Mystical as Political by Aristotle Papanikolaou
- Awake and Alive: Thomas Merton According to His Novices ed. by Jon Sweeney
- Mother of the Light: Prayers to the Theotokos by Rev. Maximos Constas
- The Collected Ghost Stories by M.R. James
- Mink River by Brian Doyle
- Paul and the Gift by John Barclay
- Exiles: A Novel by Ron Hansen
If you’d like to order any of the above books, we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books
(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!