This episode is also available on iTunes, Google, Spotify or wherever you access your favorite podcasts.
Host Jen Pollock Michel is joined by Marlena Graves and Tim Soerens for a great conversation about counter-cultural reading practices and listening to voices on the margins. Plus, we are excited to offer a book giveaway on the ERB Podcast Facebook page sponsored by InterVarsity Press! Check out the episode for details.
Marlena Graves is a writer, deep thinker, and speaker passionate about the eternal implications of our life with God. She received her M.Div. from Northeastern Seminary in Rochester, New York, and is pursuing her PhD in American Culture Studies at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. In 2014, she released her first book, A Beautiful Disaster: Finding Hope in the Midst of Brokenness. Her newest book, The Way Up is Down: Becoming Yourself by Forgetting Yourself released last month with InterVarsity Press. She lives in Ohio with her husband and three daughters.
Tim Soerens is a pastor, social entrepreneur, and co-founding director of the Parish Collective, a global movement which reimagines what it means to be the church in, with, and for the neighborhood. Tim has also launched sold-out conferences including the Inhabit Conference. In 2014, he co-authored The New Parish: How Neighborhood Churches Transform Mission, Discipleship, and Community. His new book, Everywhere You Look: Discovering the Church Right Where You Are recently released with InterVarsity Press. Tim lives in Seattle with his wife and two sons.
Books mentioned in this episode:
- Beautiful Disaster: Finding Hope in the Midst of Darkness by Marlena Graves
- The Way Up is Down: Becoming Yourself by Forgetting Yourself by Marlena Graves
- The New Parish: How Neighborhood Churches are Transforming Mission, Discipleship & Community by Tim Soerens
- Everywhere You Look: Discovering the Church Right Where You Are by Tim Soerens
- The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways that Jesus is the Way by Eugene Peterson
- In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henri Nouwen
- The Life of St. Francis of Assisi by St. Bonaventure
- The Complete Works of John Chrysostom
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Advent: The Once and Future Coming of Jesus Christ by Fleming Rutledge
- Foolishness to the Greeks: The Gospel and Western Culture by Lesslie Newbigin
- Sabbath as Resistance: Saying No to the Culture of Now by Walter Brueggeman
- Acts: A Theological Commentary on the Bible by Willie James Jennings
- You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit by James K.A. Smith
- Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Gregory Boyle
- Ballpark: Baseball in the American City by Paul Goldberger
- Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
- Wings of Fire Series by Tui T. Sutherland
- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
- Dignity: Seeking Respect in Back Row America by Chris Arnade
- The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson
- Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
- Blue Highways: A Journey Into America by William Least Heat-Moon
SUBSCRIBE to the ERB podcast on iTunes, Google, Spotify or wherever you access your favorite podcasts.