Host Jen Pollock Michel is joined by 3 great first-time guests for a lively and wide-ranging conversation. In this episode (part 1), they talk about reading during the COVID-year and what they are currently reading, researching, and working on.
Diana Butler Bass is an award-winning author, popular speaker, and inspiring preacher. She holds a doctorate in religious studies from Duke University. Her most recent book is Freeing Jesus: Rediscovering Jesus as Friend, Teacher, Savior, Lord, Way, and Presence. Diana and her husband live in Alexandria, Virginia, with their dog and their sometimes-successful backyard garden.
David Dark serves as Assistant Professor of Religion and the Arts in the College of Theology at Belmont University. He is the author of several book including Life’s Too Short To Pretend You’re Not Religious and The Sacredness of Questioning Everything (The ERB’s 2009 Book of the Year). His work has appeared in MTV News, Books & Culture, Pitchfork, and the Oxford American. He lives with his singer-songwriter wife, Sarah Masen, and their three children in Nashville.
Cathleen Falsani is an award-winning religion journalist, photojournalist, and author of several nonfiction books including the critically acclaimed The God Factor. She was co-editor of and a contributing author to Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful and a Few Scoundrels and most recently was co-general editor of and contributing author to The End of Hunger: Renewed Hope for Feeding the World. Cathleen is the co-host of the Artist Care and Feeding podcast, and she lives with her family in Laguna Beach, California.
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
If you’d like to order any of the following books, we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
- The Places that Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times by Pema Chodron
- Conquering Fear: Living Boldly in an Uncertain World by Harold S. Kushner
- How Not to Be Afraid: Seven Ways to Live When Everything Seems Terrifying by Gareth Higgins
- California: A History by Kevin Starr
- Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening by Diana Butler Bass
- The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality and Change Everything We See, Hope For, and Believe by Richard Rohr
- Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer by Richard Rohr
- Freeing Jesus: Rediscovering Jesus as Friend, Teacher, Savior, Lord, Way and Presence by Diana Butler Bass
If you’d like to order any of the following books,
we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books
(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!