ERB Editor C. Christopher Smith sat down with two first-time ERB Podcast guests, Soong-Chan Rah and Mark Charles, at the recent CCDA conference to discuss their co-written book Unsettling Truths and their work related to colonialism, race, history, and the church.
Soong-Chan Rah is the Robert Boyd Munger professor of evangelism at Fuller Seminary and has has authored or coauthored over a half dozen books including The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity, Prophetic Lament: A Call for Justice in Troubled Times, and Unsettling Truths: The Ongoing, Dehumanizing Legacy of the Doctrine of Discovery. He is an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Covenant Church, and has spoken widely on the topics of the witness of the church, cross-cultural ministry, and social justice. Mark Charles is a speaker, writer, and consultant. The son of an American woman (of Dutch heritage) and a Navajo man, Mark teaches the complexities of American history regarding race, culture, and Christendom in order to help forge a path of healing and conciliation for the nation. In 2020, Mark ran as an independent candidate for the presidency of the United States, advocating for a Truth and Conciliation Commission – a formal and national dialogue on issues of race, gender, and class.
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
If you’d like to order any of the following books, we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
- Unsettling Truths: The Ongoing, Dehumanizing Legacy of the Doctrine of Discovery by Mark Charles and Soong-Chan Rah
- Prophetic Lament: A Call for Justice in Troubled Times by Soong-Chan Rah
- The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity by Soong-Chan Rah
- The Evangelical Imagination: How Stories, Images and Metaphors Created a Culture in Crisis by Karen Swallow Prior
- Modern Social Imaginaries by Charles Taylor
- The Land is Not Empty: Following Jesus in Dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery by Sarah Augustine
- How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States by Daniel Immerwahr
- Die with Zero: Getting All You Can from Your Money and Your Life by Bill Perkins
If you’d like to order any of the above books, we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books
(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!