ERB Editor C. Christopher Smith sits down with two first-time guests(Jeff Liou and Al Tizon), and one returning guest (Robert Chao Romero), for a live conversation at Urbana about the many hierarchical ways of thinking and being (including race and class) that give shape to our faith, and the destruction that is wrought in the process.
Jeff Ming Liou is the National Director of Theological Formation for InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA. He is also an adjunct assistant professor of Christian ethics at Fuller Theological Seminary. Rev. Dr. Robert Chao Romero is “Asian-Latino,” and has been a professor of Chicana/o Studies and Asian American Studies at UCLA since 2005. He received his Ph.D. from UCLA in Latin American History and his Juris Doctor from U.C. Berkeley, and is also an attorney. He is author of Brown Church: Five Centuries of Latina/o Social Justice, Theology, and Identity (2020). Jeff and Robert are co-authors of the soon-to-be released book Christianity and Critical Race Theory: A Faithful and Constructive Conversation (Baker Academic). Al Tizon is affiliate professor of missional and global leadership at North Park Theological Seminary in Chicago and lead pastor of Grace Fellowship Church in San Francisco. He has authored numerous books, including the forthcoming, Christ Among the Classes: The Rich, the Poor, and the Mission of the Church, which we discuss in this episode.
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
If you’d like to order any of the following books, we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
- Christianity and Critical Race Theory: A Faithful and Constructive Conversation — Robert Chao Romero, Jeff Liou
- Christ Among the Classes: The Rich, the Poor, and the Mission of the Church — Al Tizon
- First Nations Version: An Indigenous Translation of the New Testament — Terry M. Wildman
- The Enchantments of Mammon: How Capitalism Became the Religion of Modernity — Eugene McCarraher
- I Put a Spell on You: The Autobiography of Nina Simone — Nina Simone
- A Letter to the Pope: The Keeper of the Nest — Jennifer Wortham
- Flood and Fury: Old Testament Violence and the Shalom of God — Matthew J. Lynch
If you’d like to order any of the above books, we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books
(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!