Host Jen Pollock Michel is joined by two great first-time guests to discuss the current evangelical reckoning with destructive spiritual leadership, narcissism, humility, and of course lots of books on the subject!
Hannah Anderson lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia where she spends her days writing and reading and caring for her family. She is the author of multiple books, including All That’s Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment and Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul. Hannah is also the co-host of the Persuasion Podcast. You can follow Hannah on Twitter @sometimesalight.
Chuck DeGroat is Professor of Counseling and Christian Spirituality at Western Theological Seminary in Holland, Michigan. His academic specialization is in the intersection of psychology and the Bible, and he co-founded the Newbigin House of Studies in San Francisco where he continues to serve as Senior Fellow. His book, When Narcissism Comes to Church, was published with IVP in 2020. You can follow Chuck on Twitter @chuckdegroat.
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
If you’d like to order any of the following books, we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
- All That’s Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment by Hannah Anderson
- Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes You by Hannah Anderson
- When Narcissism Comes to Church: Healing Your Community From Emotional and Spiritual Abuse by Chuck DeGroat
- The Gravity of Sin: Augustine, Luther and Barth on ‘homo incurvatus in se’ by Matt Jenson
- Redeeming Power: Understanding Authority and Abuse in the Church by Diane Langberg
- Something’s Not Right: Decoding the Hidden Tactics of Abuse – And Freeing Yourself From Its Power by Wade Mullen
- A Church Called Tov: Forming a Goodness Culture That Resists Abuses of Power and Promotes Healing by Scot McKnight and Laura Barringer
- The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by David Johnson and Jeff VanVonderen
- Humility: Wellspring of Virtue by Dietrich von Hildebrand
- Playing God: Redeeming the Gift of Power by Andy Crouch
- Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life by Henri Nouwen
- The Way of the Heart: Connecting with God Through Prayer, Wisdom and Silence by Henri Nouwen
- In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henri Nouwen
- Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
- Healing Racial Trauma: The Road to Resilience by Sheila Wise Rowe
- Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors: Overcoming Internal Self-Alienation by Janina Fisher
- Glittering Images: A Novel by Susan Howatch
If you’d like to order any of the following books,
we encourage you to do so from Hearts and Minds Books
(An independent bookstore in Dallastown, PA, run by Byron and Beth Borger)
SUBSCRIBE to the ERB podcast on iTunes, Google, Spotify or wherever you access your favorite podcasts.
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!