This episode is also available on iTunes, Google, Spotify or wherever you access your favorite podcasts.
Host Jen Pollock Michel is joined by prolific writers Lauren Winner and Marilyn McEntyre for a thoughtful and wide-ranging conversation about the role of words, empathy and reading during such a disorienting season.
Marilyn McEntyre has spent many years teaching American literature, Medical Humanities, and a variety of writing courses. She’s recently left full-time teaching to spend more time writing. She is the author of 14 books, which include Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies, Make a List, Word by Word, and A Long Letting Go. On her website, she writes that her deepest interests lie in connections between spirituality, language, healing earth and each other. You can learn more about her work at www.marilynmcentyre.com.
Lauren Winner is Associate Professor of Christian Spirituality at Duke Divinity School. She writes and lectures widely on Christian practice, the history of Christianity in America, and Jewish-Christian relations. Her books include Girl Meets God, Mudhouse Sabbath, Still, and Wearing God. Her most recently published book, The Dangers of Christian Practice, examines the effects of sin and damage on Christian practice. Dr. Winner, an Episcopal priest, is vicar of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Louisburg, N.C.
Books mentioned in this episode:
- Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies by Marilyn McEntyre
- Make a List: How a Simple Practice Can Change Our Lives and Open Hearts by Marilyn McEntyre
- Word by Word: A Daily Spiritual Practice by Marilyn McEntyre
- A Long Letting Go: Meditations on Losing Someone You Love by Marilyn McEntyre
- When Poets Pray by Marilyn McEntyre
- Girl Meets God: On the Path to a Spiritual Life by Lauren Winner
- Mudhouse Sabbath: An Invitation to a Life of Spiritual Discipline by Lauren Winner
- The Dangers of Christian Practice: On Wayward Gifts, Characteristic Damage, and Sin by Lauren Winner
- A Chill in the Air: An Italian War Diary by Iris Origo
- Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich
- No Logo by Naomi Klein
- Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate by Naomi Klein
- The Overstory: A Novel by Richard Powers
- On Immunity: An Inoculation by Eula Biss
- Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right by Arlie Russell Hochschild
- Christian: The Politics of a Word in America by Matthew Bowman
- Still Evangelical?: Insiders Reconsider Political, Social and Theological Meaning by Mark Labberton, Shane Claiborne, et al.
- The Hidden Gospel: Decoding the Spiritual Message of the Aramaic Jesus by Neil Douglas-Klotz
- Still: A Memoir by Lauren Winner
- Endless Life: Poems of the Mystics by Scott Cairns
- Good Poems by Garrison Keillor
- Good Poems for Hard Times by Garrison Keillor
- Enduring Ties: Poems of Family Relationships by Grant Hardy
- Ravishing DisUnities: Real Ghazals in English Edited by Agha Shahid Ali
SUBSCRIBE to the ERB podcast on iTunes, Google, Spotify or wherever you access your favorite podcasts.
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!