Here are a few new book releases from this week that are worth checking out:
(Where possible, we have also tried to include a review/interview related to the book…)
See a book here that you’d like to review for us?
Contact us, and we’ll talk about the possibility of a review.
Forest Walking: Discovering the Trees and Woodlands of North America
Peter Wohlleben / Jane Billinghurst
Awaken your senses and learn how to be a forest detective—with Peter Wohlleben, New York Times-bestselling author of The Hidden Life of Trees.
“This book will fast-track you into the joys of spending time amongst the trees.”—Tristan Gooley, author of The Lost Art of Reading Nature’s Signs and How to Read Water
“You’ll be changed after reading this fine and enchanting book.”—Richard Louv, author of Our Wild Calling and Last Child in the Woods
When you walk in the woods, do you use all five senses to explore your surroundings? For most of us, the answer is no—but when we do, a walk in the woods can go from pleasant to immersive and restorative. Forest Walking teaches you how to get the most out of your next adventure by becoming a forest detective, decoding nature’s signs and awakening to the ancient past and thrilling present of the ecosystem around you.
- What can you learn by following the spread of a root, by tasting the tip of a branch, by searching out that bitter almond smell?
- What creatures can be found in a stream if you turn over a rock—and what is the best way to cross a forest stream, anyway?
- How can you understand a forest’s history by the feel of the path underfoot, the scars on the trees along the trail, or the play of sunlight through the branches?
- How can we safely explore the forest at night?
- What activities can we use to engage children with the forest?
Throughout Forest Walking, the authors share experiences and observations from visiting forests across North America: from the rainforests and redwoods of the west coast to the towering white pines of the east, and down to the cypress swamps of the south and up to the boreal forests of the north.
With Forest Walking, German forester Peter Wohlleben teams up with his longtime editor, Jane Billinghurst, as the two write their first book together, and the result is nothing short of spectacular. Together, they will teach you how to listen to what the forest is saying, no matter where you live or which trees you plan to visit next.
***READ the Publishers Weekly starred review of this book…