The Englewood Review of Books
Best Books of 2019
The New Testament in Its World:
An Introduction to the History, Literature, and Theology of the First Christians
N.T. Wright / Michael Bird
An ideal guide for students, The New Testament in Its World addresses the many difficult questions faced by those studying early Christianity. Both large and small, these questions include:
– What is the purpose of the New Testament?
– What was the first-century understanding of the kingdom?
– What is the real meaning of the resurrection in its original context?
– What really were the Gospels?
– Who was Paul and why are his letters so controversial?
– As twenty-first-century people, how do we recover the excitement of what it was like to live as Christians in the first or second centuries?
In short, The New Testament in Its World brings together decades of ground-breaking research, writing, and teaching into one volume that will open readers’ eyes to the larger world of the New Testament. It presents the New Testament books as historical, literary, and social phenomena located in the world of Second Temple Judaism, amidst Greco-Roman politics and culture, and within early Christianity. ‘
WATCH a video introduction to this book…
Reading for the Common Good
From ERB Editor Christopher Smith
"This book will inspire, motivate and challenge anyone who cares a whit about the written word, the world of ideas, the shape of our communities and the life of the church."
-Karen Swallow Prior
Enter your email below to sign up for our weekly newsletter & download your FREE copy of this ebook!